♪My Top First Semester Top 20 List♬
- 1. Metamorphic rocks are made with HEAT and/or pressure
- 2. Sedimentary rocks are formed with weathering,erosion, deposition, compaction, and cementation
- 3. Igneous rocks are formed when lava or magma cools
- 4.Absolute Age is the number of years since the rock was formed
- 5.Relative Age is the age of a rock compared to the age of other rocks.
- 6.Law of Superposition states that the the oldest layer of rock is at the bottom.
- 7. Nonrenewable resources are resources that are eventually going to run out.(EX: Natural gas, coal, nuclear energy, etc)
- 8. Renewable resources are resources that are unlikely to run out. (EX: fish, solar energy, wood, etc)
- 9. Scientists are looking new energy sources that produce less pollution, renewable, and reliable.
- 10. The order of Earth’s layers are crust, mantle, and core (outer core and inner core).
- 11. Continental crust is thicker than oceanic crust.
- 12. Continental crust is made of mostly basalt while oceanic is made out of granite.
- 13.There are three types of boundaries (divergent, convergent, and transform boundary)
- 14. 260 millions ago, earth’s continents moved to form one big chunk of landmass called Pangea.
- 15. Plate tectonics is theory that pieces of Earth’s lithosphere are in constant motion.
Weathering, Erosion, Deposition, and Soil
- 16. Weathering is breaking down of sediment
- 17. Erosion is carrying away of sediment
- 18. Deposition is dropping off of sediment
- 19. Soil is made up of air,minerals, water, and weathered bedrock.
- 20. Soil has 5 layers, or horizons.